What is the Wizz App?
Wizz is a free social networking app that enables users to chat live online with strangers from around the world. It features a swiping system in users can browse through profiles to choose someone to chat with, similar to popular dating apps for adults, such as Tinder.
Although the app is free, there are paid subscriptions available.
- Users are grouped by age category.
- In order to reply to messages, users must accept message requests.
- Wizz contains multiple chat options, including a group chat function for friends and voice chat.
- Friends can be selected based on their location, age, gender, and interests (e.g. sports or gaming).
What is HiPal Walkie Talkie?
HiPal Walkie Talkie is a free online social networking app that allows users to talk to others using their phone as a ‘walkie talkie’ style device. It works even when a user’s phone is locked and not in use.
Upon sign-up, users indicate whether they are either 12 and over, or under 12-years-old. The features do change slightly depending on which of these age categories a user falls into.
- Users must be friends on the app to use the walkie talkie function with each other.
- There is no limit on distance when using the walkie talkie feature.
- The group chat function is for friends only.
- The ‘BOOM’ feature notifies users of messages or walkie talkie messages when they aren’t using the app.
- Users can post images and videos and receive likes, comments, and messages from strangers worldwide.
- Posts can be shared on other platforms, such as Snapchat, Twitter, and WhatsApp via copying their direct link.
- Users have a profile with a unique username, bio, and profile picture and how many likes their posts have accumulated.
- Users under 12 can use the walkie talkie function to talk to others they have friended.
- The ‘Explore’ tab is limited to friends and family if they have been added by a user with their specific a code. The code is valid for 24 hours.
- Some sections act as a social media platform for under 12s, where children can post photos, receive likes, comments, and messages from friends.
- In theory, there should be no stranger interaction on this version of the app.
What Are Social Networking and Friend-Finding Apps?
One study found that a staggering 95% of young people feel lonely, with just over one in 10 describing themselves as chronically lonely.
It’s no wonder then that many are turning to an easily accessible option to try and connect with others.
Filling the gap present in popular social media platforms, friend-finding and social apps focus more heavily on one-on-one connection and direct conversations.
Although Wizz and HiPal Walkie Talkie work in slightly different ways, both raise safeguarding concerns over interactivity with strangers, exposure to inappropriate content, poor age verification systems, and more.