Report a Concern
Concerned about a child or young person?
If someone or something is making a child feel scared, threatened or distressed, report it to the police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency
It can be difficult to know what to say and do when your child speaks out about a harmful online experience. Often they feel that they are to blame for something that has happened to them, so it’s really important that an adult response is supportive. Listen to what they tell you, believe them and reassure them that it is not their fault. If you’re worried or have concerns then report the issue using the advice below.
If you’re not sure about reporting and would like some advice and support, the following organisations may be able to help:
- NSPCC Helpline is available for adults who have a concern about a child’s safety or wellbeing. Call 0808 800 500 or email [email protected]. It’s free and you don’t have to say who you are
- Nexus Domestic and Sexual Abuse Helpline is a free, confidential and 24/7 helpline and webchat that provides information and support for anyone experiencing or with concerns about domestic and sexual abuse in Northern Ireland
- Text-A-Nurse is a text messaging service for parents and carers to access professional nursing advice on young people’s health and wellbeing issues
- Parentline is a free and confidential helpline and online chat service for parents and carers in Northern Ireland
- ParentingNI provide a free support line and webchat for parents and carers in Northern Ireland
- Lifeline is Northern Ireland’s crisis response helpline. If you, or someone you know, is in distress or despair, call Lifeline on 0808 808 8000. This is a confidential service, where trained counsellors will listen and help immediately on the phone and follow-up with other support if necessary. The helpline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can also access the Lifeline website at www.lifelinehelpline.info. Lifeline can access translators to speak to you in your preferred language, and British and Irish Sign Language users can also use the SignVideo app.
- If you can’t find what you are looking for then the Helplines NI website has information and phone numbers for other helplines in Northern Ireland that can support you with a range of issues.